BAD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HOW many BOINC or FOLD?

BAD :: Public :: Tavern

Go down

HOW many BOINC or FOLD? Empty HOW many BOINC or FOLD?

Post  Guest Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:28 pm

I am part of Team Picard..a distributed computing network..how many in here do this?
I do Climate, SETI, Folding, PrimeGrid, Einstein (looking for black holes)

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ explains it better rendeer (me over the holidays)

Back to top Go down

HOW many BOINC or FOLD? Empty Re: HOW many BOINC or FOLD?

Post  Guest Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:33 pm

currently just do Seti after remembering I used to do it, Part of a team called The Gaming Union(TGU) though most of the guys have gone inactive

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:56 am

I do SETI also... alien

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:56 am

I have taken a hiatus from DC. I used to crunch under the flag of Team AnandTech. I kind of lost interest when Classic SETI went away. But I also folded, ran BOINC and several others.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:32 pm

what on earth are these?
lol

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:38 pm

Kord its basically, any spare processing power your not using these programs use to make calculations for research projects.

Alot of large scale research doesnt have the funding, or simply has too much data to process for the project to have the neccessary computers available, so what they do is break it down into small batches/units, that batch/unit is sent to your computer, and your computer analysises/calculates it using whatever processing power your not using, once done it sends the results back to them.
Some projects are arguably more important than others, for example some are to do with finding cures for cancer, whereas others are find signals in outer space.

It does literally use just the processing power your not using, i've had these things running while playing games like Half-life2 and Medieval Total War 2 without any slow down to the game

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:59 pm

So what is this "distributed computing" thing anyway? Distributed computing describes a system in which client systems receive work involving calculation of some sort from a server, perform the computation, and then send the results back to the server. Thus, it is possible to employ thousands or millions of personal computers, surpassing the power of many supercomputers.

You might ask, why would I want to donate my spare CPU time and electricity to something like this? A quick overview of the variety of projects listed below may well convince you that the very small cost of electricity required to run a computer 24/7 (hint: turn off the monitor to save power) is well worth the difference you can make in your project's area of scientific research.

Some projects look outward into space, to look for extraterrestrial life, pulsars, and other things. Others look around, to chart the development of life on the planet, or predict future weather patterns. Yet others look inward, to analyze the structure of atoms, molecules, or proteins. Each project can have a great impact on the development of science in its area, and you can help!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:53 am

that is an awesomely noble cause... i think i might have a look into that Smile thanks mate ^^

i have a nails computer- bitching spec so i'll be a good addition i reckon Very Happy ^^

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

BAD :: Public :: Tavern

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum